Friday, February 28, 2014

Atlantic Beaches in France - Hendaye & Saint Jean-de-Luz

Off to the Beach...
Beach in Hendaye
There is just something about a beach....no matter what month...no matter the weather (although, sunshine is nice!).  I'm not sure if it's the sand, the wind, the air...it just feels natural, just feels free and open.  For me, standing at the edge of a beach and letting the breeze blow against my face is just plain relaxing!  The smell of the salt air, the waves rolling in, and the vast openness of the landscape - it's peaceful and always puts me in a great mood.

My children are no different ...They LOVE the beach.  LOVE might not even be a strong enough word.  As soon as they know we are close to the Ocean - they want to stop - they want to head there - first to see it and then...to put their feet in. Always, no matter what weather - off come the shoes & socks and the toes just start wiggling in the sand.

Now remember - it's February here.  It's still Winter - it's still chilly.  Yes, there are the "die-hards" out there surfing - in wet-suits.  But my children - all they want is to breathe the air and get their toes in the water. 

These photos were taken a week ago - as we toured the beaches of Hendaye & Saint Jean de Luz. I love looking at these and seeing how relaxed they are - I love that they each do their own thing...my youngest loves to still play in the sand, push it together, and build.  My oldest loves to take photos of the water, sand and her sisters.  My middle one - loves to run, walk and even draw in the sand. It's like they can't get enough....

They ran down to the beach - I'm standing up on the wall taking this photo.
Digging & playing
Enjoying the surf!
Sisters
Taking in the salt air
A cartwheel is always fun in the sand
She loves to build
Sand snowball?  It is February remember?
When your hands have had enough, time to use your feet.
Love this photo!
Another photographer in the family!
My middle daughter and I

The next day we headed to Saint Jean de Luz - yes, we enjoyed the town (I'll write about that lovely Basque Country town in another post) but of course, we had to find the beach there too!  It didn't matter that they had done the same thing the day before - it's like the sand and the water just call to them!!  To me too - again it just provides this peaceful, tranquil atmosphere!

The beach - Saint Jean de Luz
The beach is more protected with breaker walls - still beautiful, but calmer.
Love footprints in the sand!
Note the fleece sweater - but pants rolled up and bare feet!
Waves rolling in - Fort Socoa in background


More building
jogging along


As I sit here typing, and it's pouring rain outside- it's enjoyable to look back at our photos from last week.  It wasn't perfect weather - but we had enough sun and warm(ish) weather to really enjoy ourselves.  We were all happy to get away for a couple days and get refreshed.

I hope for those of you who are dealing with the snow events in the States can enjoy these photos and that they help you to remember your fond memories of the warmer ocean air and know those days will be arriving soon.  

Will be sharing another post shortly describing the beautiful Basque Country towns of Saint Jean de Luz & Hendaye - beautiful destinations in Southern France on the Atlantic Coast.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting - It's one of my favorite photos this year!! Think I might have to print and enlarged version and frame it! Come back and visit again soon.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a comment - I love hearing from people!

Popular Posts