Thursday, March 29, 2018

Winter in Bordeaux - A look back and waiting for the sunshine of Spring


I can't believe it's already almost April.  It seems like I've been hibernating for the Winter.  Since the holidays, it's passed rather quickly and not without some fun!!  I have been quietly enjoying Bordeaux and it's surroundings and also a brief trip to Lisbon (but that's for another post!).
 I decided to increase my knowledge of wines and spirits by taking the WSET - level 2.  This course was a wonderful way to learn more about wines from all over the world and how they are similar and different.  It was an intensive 3 days but a lot of fun....Imagine tasting about 15-18 wines a day!  
 I honestly didn't know too much about wines from South Africa, Australia, Spain or Argentina but now I so appreciate their uniqueness, similarities and differences to the wines that I was already familar with.
 My mother came for a visit in February and early March....between the rain showers...(yes, it's been a wet and cloudy Winter here in Bordeaux) we enjoyed visiting parts of Bordeaux, Arcachon, Cap Ferret and Cognac.
Mom, me & my youngest at La Place du Palais
Enjoying the beach in Arcachon in the Winter!
Market square in Arcachon

 Additionally, we checked out the new indoor market - the Halles of Bacalan across from the Cite du Vin - Bordeaux's International Wine Museum.  
Bordeaux's Cite du Vin
 There is always time for crepes and a cafe!!
 Had a nice wander around the neighborhood near the remains of Bordeaux's roman coliseum - the Palais Gallen.
Palais Gallen
 When anyone vists, it's a must to enjoy Oysters and even though it was a cloudy day - a trip out to La Teste & Cap Ferret helped us think Spring...

The Oyster shacks in LaTeste


The Dune du Pyla from Cap Ferret
Finally, we are starting to see more sunny days and it's back to work for me!  I did enjoy a drive up in the Medoc area last week, felt great to see the sunshine.  So here's to Spring and looking forward to some warmer weather!
Chateau Beychevelle
Chateau Pichon Longueville

Chateau Palmer



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and visiting my blog. Feel free to leave a comment - I love hearing from people!

Popular Posts